Local

Fire sparked by candle kills teenager

Photo: KGMI

Fire sparked by candle kills teenager

KGMI News Reporting
By Tracy Ellis, Dillon Honcoop

BELLINGHAM, Wash. – A teenage boy was killed in a fire at the Bellingham home where he was a guest.

A mother, her three children and one of the kid’s friends were in the Columbia Neighborhood house early yesterday morning when the fire started.

Fire Marshall Jason Napier says the fire broke out in an upstairs bedroom.

Play Jason Napier on cause

The boy in that room ran downstairs and got his mom.

She and one child escaped uninjured.

Another boy and the friend were in a separate upstairs bedroom.

The boy went out the window, but the friend didn’t make it.

Investigators say the home had no working smoke detectors.

People who live in the Columbia Neighborhood are stepping up to help the family.

Bill Eggert showed up at the sight of the tragedy yesterday afternoon.

Play Bill Eggert on helping

He and other volunteers boarded-up the burned out house to keep vandals away.

Paul Lawrence is the brother of the homeowner and talked to KGMI.

Play Paul Lawrence on helping his family 

The mother, her 10-year-old daughter, and 14 and 23 year-old sons are receiving aid from the Mount Baker Chapter of the Red Cross.