Local

Police shootout suspects facing slew of charges

Photo: KGMI

Police shootout suspects facing slew of charges

KGMI News Reporting
By Karen Taylor

BELLINGHAM, Wash. – One of the suspects in last week’s armed robbery and shootout on the Mount Baker Highway has appeared in Whatcom County Superior Court.

Prosecutor David McEachran says Rafael Martinez-Garcia made his first appearance with a public defender, is being held on $1.5 million bail.

The second suspect, Pastor Lopez-Franco is still recovering at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

McEachran says they are both being charged with six Class A felonies.

Play David McEachran on charges

He says because they are both charged together, he is hoping to prosecute them together in the same trial.

Charging papers allege the two suspects robbed a Meridian Street Shell station at gunpoint last Thursday before getting into a high-speed chase and shootout with police.

Both suspects were shot by police.

Martinez-Garcia is expected in court next week to submit his plea to the charges.