Local

Two fires over the weekend unrelated

Photo: Clipart.com

Two fires over the weekend unrelated

KGMI News Reporting

Two fires over the weekend in Bellingham are unrelated.

A fire on Lynn Street Saturday night in a detached garage was contained by the Bellingham Fire Department and Fire District 8.

The fire damaged one wall of the garage along with a car inside.

Investigators believe it was likely caused by an overloaded extension cord.

A second fire evacuated guests of the Econolodge Motel on Merdian Street early Sunday Morning.

With the help of the automatic sprinkler system, Bellingham Fire Department crews were able to extinguish the kitchen fire before it spread.

A plastic cereal container left on a burner that was on is believed to be the cause.

Smoke and water from the sprinklers caused some minor damage.

The motel remains open.

There were no injuries from either fire.