KGMI News Reporting
By Mike Curtiss
BELLINGHAM, Wash. – A woman who reported that she was sexually assaulted in downtown Bellingham last month has withdrawn the allegation.
The 22-year-old woman originally told police that someone sexually assaulted her while she was walking home, but she withdrew the report on Friday.
Karen Burke, Executive Director of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Services of Whatcom County says, “regardless of any details in this particular incident, the fact remains that sexual assault is a serious crime that happens far too frequently.”
Bellingham Deputy Chief Flo Simon says most sexual assaults are never reported.
She says they we will continue to investigate each complaint that they receive.