News

Attorney: Donald Sterling says no deal

Attorney: Donald Sterling says no deal

Donald Sterling file photo Photo: Associated Press/AP Photo/Danny Moloshok

TAMI ABDOLLAH, Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) — An attorney for Donald Sterling says the Los Angeles Clippers owner has pulled his support from a deal to sell the team to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and will pursue his $1 billion federal lawsuit against the NBA.

Attorney Maxwell Blecher says Monday that Sterling “instructed (us) to prosecute the lawsuit” and the deal’s off.

The $2 billion sale was negotiated by wife Shelly Sterling after Donald Sterling’s racist remarks to a girlfriend were publicized and the NBA moved to oust him as owner. The lawsuit alleges the league violated his constitutional rights, antitrust laws and committed breach of contract.

Donald Sterling agreed to ink the deal and drop the suit last week, but then decided against it after learning the NBA won’t revoke its lifetime ban and fine.

 

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

‘Rush Hour’ could be headed to the small screen

Fresh
rushhour

The series will reportedly follow the style of the movies.

in Sports

McIlroy wins PGA Tour player of the year

Fresh
mcilroy

The award was announced on Wednesday and surprised no one.

in Entertainment

‘Twilight’ saga returning with short films

twilight

The blockbuster vampire franchise is set to return, this time in a short film format.

in National

U.S. manufacturing jobs data best since ’12

Updated
plant

Employment in America's manufacturing sector grew at its best pace since March 2012, a new report says.

in Local

Grant boosts Bellingham DUI patrols

Fresh
drunk driving

Police aim at one DUI every four hours