News

Feds close probe of refinery blast that killed 7

Feds close probe of refinery blast that killed 7

Photo: clipart.com

AP News

SEATTLE, Wash. –¬†The U.S. Justice Department says it won’t file criminal charges after investigating the April 2010 explosion that killed seven workers at the Tesoro refinery in¬†Anacortes.

U.S. Attorney Jenny Durkan said Friday that the decision to close the case without charges was shared with victims’ relatives earlier in the day.

Federal investigators and prosecutors examined whether environmental and worker safety laws and regulations had been violated.

The U.S. Chemical Safety Board released its final report on the blast in May.

It blamed the facility’s safety culture, industry standards, and state and federal oversight for the catastrophic rupture of a heat exchanger.

The board called for more conservative standards for the use of carbon steel and called on the state of Washington to adopt more rigorous safety management standards.

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

William Shatner working on Leonard Nimoy book

Fresh
nimoy

"Leonard: A 50 Year Friendship" will hit the shelves next year.

in Entertainment, Sports

Hulk Hogan begs forgiveness, wants back in WWE

Fresh
22-overlay16

The wrestling icon is pleading with fans for their forgiveness after he was caught on tape using a racial slur, insisting the controversial comments were made at the "lowest point" of his life.

in Local

North Cascades Highway back open

Fresh
roadway

Had been closed due to wildfire

in Local

Thousands honor fallen fire fighters

generic fire engine detail

Three died when fire overtook their truck

in Local

Kayaker missing in Lake Whatcom

kayak

Man ventured out after partying all night