News

Hernandez murder trial to start in January

Hernandez murder trial to start in January

AARON HERNANDEZ:Superior Court Judge Susan Garsh ruled at a hearing in Fall River District Court that the former NFL star's trial would begin on Jan. 9, according to a spokeswoman for Bristol County Superior Court. Photo: Reuters

By Elizabeth Barber

BOSTON (Reuters) – Former New England Patriots player Aaron Hernandez will be tried in January for the murder of semi-professional football player Odin Lloyd last summer, a Massachusetts judge ruled on Tuesday.

Superior Court Judge Susan Garsh ruled at a hearing in Fall River District Court that the former NFL star’s trial would begin on Jan. 9, according to a spokeswoman for Bristol County Superior Court.

Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the shooting death of Lloyd, whose body was found near Hernandez’s home in North Attleborough in June 2013. He has also pled not guilty in Boston to separate charges of killing two men after an incident involving a spilled drink at a nightclub in 2012.

Garsh did not rule on Tuesday on a motion filed a day earlier by Hernandez’s lawyers that asks the court to “take prompt action” to prevent news broadcasts of Hernandez’s hearings from capturing courtroom conversations between the former Patriots player and his lawyers.

The motion says a relative of Hernandez who watched a hearing earlier this month via the Internet was able to overhear “private conversations between counsel and their client while they were seated at counsel table awaiting the hearing to begin.”

The motion cites Massachusetts court rules that allow electronic recording in court but bar anyone from recording private conversations between defense lawyers and their clients.

“It is essential to the defendant’s receiving effective assistance of counsel in this case that his counsel be able to confer among themselves and confer with their client confidentially,” read the motion.

(Editing by Scott Malone and Grant McCool)

Recent Headlines

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

Fresh
In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.

in Entertainment

Third ‘Night at the Museum’ marks final film for Williams, Rooney

Fresh
nightatthemuseum

The credits for "Secret of the Tomb," which opens Friday, read "In loving memory of Mickey Rooney," and "For Robin Williams - the magic never ends."

in Entertainment

Chris Pratt thought ‘Guardians’ would be a box office flop

Guardians Of The Galaxy

The "Parks and Rec" star was very, very wrong.

in Sports

Thursday’s Sports Minute

grizzlies

Here's a look at some of the big sports stories making headlines today, Thursday, Dec. 18.

in Sports

Ray Rice investigation heating up

Former Baltimore Ravens NFL running back Ray Rice and his wife Janay arrive for a hearing at a New York City office building November 5, 2014.

Hundreds of NFL employees gave records to investigators looking into how Commissioner Roger Goodell handled evidence in the Ray Rice case.